Church1009

Church1009 - Churches of Wales

St Teilo's church is believed to have been built during the late 12th or 13th century on the site of an earlier Celtic church. Over the ensuing centuries the building was altered and extended.
The oldest parts of the present structure are the nave and chancel. During the 14th century, small chapels were built onto the north and south sides of the chancel, and during the late 14th or early 15th century the church's capacity was increased by the addition of an aisle to the south side of the nave. The old south wall was replaced by two arches, with a third arch opening into the chancel, and finally, a porch was added to the entrance door leading into the south aisle of the church.
The roof timbers are of typical early fifteenth century design, though they may in fact be slightly later in date. The west wall of the nave was altered in the early 18th century and in 1810 the interior was furnished with box pews and a three-decker pulpit. Most of the stone-mullioned windows appear to have been blocked up at this time, and were replaced by new 'Georgian gothic' lancet-shaped windows. One original two-light stone-mullioned window (14/15th) survived in the south aisle. Probably the oldest surviving feature of the church is the stone font which is believed to date from the 13th century or earlier.
This church was originally located near to the village of Llandeilo in South Wales and was dismantled and moved to Saint Fagans Museum in Cardiff between 1984 and 1985.

Buy now

Church1045

Return to: Churches of Wales or Gallery

Also in: Churches of Wales

Church1071
Church1072
Church1073
Church1074
Church1075
Church1076
Church1045
Church1084
Church1081
Church1082
Church1083
Church1101
Church1095
Church1091
Church1089