Church1091

Church1091 - Churches of Wales

Capel Mair is situated on top of the mountain overlooking the south Wales town of Margam.

Dedicated to St. Mary, this little chapel was built by the monks of Margam for the benefit of their tenants. The style of the west window dates it to about 1300 but the east window is in the Perpendicular style of the fifteenth century. The chapel is in a roughly circular enclosure, suggesting that it may be on the site of an older church, and some burials (unfortunately not dated) have been found in the enclosure. After the Reformation, it was used by local Catholics, who worshipped here in secret.
Buy now

Church1089

Return to: Churches of Wales or Gallery

Also in: Churches of Wales

Church1071
Church1072
Church1073
Church1074
Church1075
Church1076
Church1009
Church1045
Church1084
Church1081
Church1082
Church1083
Church1101
Church1095
Church1089